From: Jan Hidders <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:19:11 GMT

Alfredo Novoa wrote:

>>>They are largely confused, but not synonymous.
>>The context in which the term was used was query languages, not update

> There are not query languages. Daplex and SQL are data languages.

Alexander's words you reacted to where:

|>>Yet, I agree that FDM queries are still different from purely
|>>declarative queries.

> On the other hand a Daplex query reads the current state of variables
> and that is imperative programming.

No, it evaluates an expression for each element in a certain set of binding without the possibility of those expressions having side-effects that can influence each of those evaluations. That's called set comprehension and if you don't believe me then I'm sure a few experts in comp.lang.functional will be more than willing to explain to you why that is not imperative.

  • Jan Hidders