Re: ANNOUNCE: Andromeda Data Dictionary File Format

From: DM Unseen <dm_unseen_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2005 07:16:28 -0700

OK I could have ignored the last post, but it makes the thread flow top to bottom, which has some scarcity value on cdt;)

You should realize that some kind of userland mods are needed to do e.g. internationalization. Note that in your dictionary I could not see the difference between Caption, Name and Description. IIMO that is required, since the Caption needs the ablity to be localized by the user, but the Name would be fixed. Note also that in localization you would need to distinguish between an entity's "formal" description
(sometimes also called business description), and it's user description
(which you can use as tooltip/helptext). BTW I assumed some profile
system as well. I would think the only other thing really worth localizing is a fields format property, but most of that should be handled by the client browser.

Another good use for this is what is sometimes called user views, which are based on their business role (instead of their language preferences). This is esp. useful when you designed general entities that have different meanings for different types of users. Received on Tue Jun 14 2005 - 09:16:28 CDT