Re: ANNOUNCE: Andromeda Data Dictionary File Format

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:45:36 -0400

DM Unseen wrote:

> Kenneth,
>
> My compliments to such an extensive framework. I will investigate this
> thoroughly.

I'm assuming you are responding to the real ANNOUNCE, not this accidental one. The message you are responding to is hardly "extensive" ha ha, more like empty.

> One question though, does your framework support customer/user defined
> attributes/labels?
>
> M. Evers

By any reasonable definition I would have to say no.  All specifications are in the dictionary file, and there is no userland tool to override or modify them. So if the caption for column WIDGET is "Widget Code", and the user wants it to be "Widget No", we have to change the dictionary file and run a build.

My plan from the beginning, but alas this remains unimplemented, is to allow userland mods to any system-supplied data, using a system that protects the original values.  The idea would be that any table holding system-supplied data (meaning data in the Dictionary file) would actually be built as two tables.  The system-supplied stuff would go into table A, and userland mods would go into table B as overrides.  A view would provide run-time access to entries from B where applicable and fallback to A.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.