Re: Poll: What percentage advantage are RDBMS vendors taking of the RM?

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:49:13 GMT

"Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote:

> No problem. But what I liked about the responses was no so much the
> percentage idea, as the specific concepts. The percentage concept is then
> subjective. Depending on how important the divergent features are to you,
> that's how well the product conforms.

The specific concepts are always interesting to consider and reflect upon however the concept that the SQL-DBMS "[abstract] machines" do not <INSERT SOME SUITABLE ADVERB HERE> (eg: truly, fully, etc) embody the relational model of data needs to be quantified by the proponents, seeing that, as they are so fond of saying, it is scientific.

Although subjective consideration is always going to be happening, one might expect there *also* to be some general form of objective agreement, and this is what I wish to ascertain.

Do relational theorists admit 50% "realisation", or do they admit 20% or do they admit 80%. Surely this is a question that may be answered by each (relational model) theorist independently, and so arrive at a consensus?

--
Pete Brown
IT Managers & Engineers