Re: Database schema for univesal usage

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:36:06 GMT

"David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:mcrle.8352$M36.4042_at_newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> I've never been able to understand why people say it costs lots of $$$ to
> add a column to a table.
>
> The addition ALTER TABLE ... ADD COLUMN is straight forward. The fallout
> on
> existing queries should be minimal. Getting rid of NULLS in the new
> column
> is a data issue, not a technology issue.
>
> Updating INSERTS and UPDATES to the table will take a little work, but
> its'
> no big deal. Where do the $$$ go?

Into the pockets of the application software developers who (may) keep a duplication of the schema outside the database and therefore have to make an update to the x program
objects that will reference the new COL, re-package the release of these objects, etc

For further info, and other hidden costs see: http://www.mountainman.com.au/software/Theory_of_Organizational_Intelligence.htm Esp hypothesis number 7

--
Pete Brown
Falls Creek