Re: theory and practice: ying and yang

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:36:05 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:lqkb9117dori68k572asfmamkfrd9t3rd9_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 08:48:41 GMT, "mountain man"
> <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote:
>
>>> A person can consider multiple points of view, but he should not state
>>> contradictorial points of view.
>>
>>One should be prepared for anything in this world.
>
> Indeed, one should be prepared for any kind of shameful arguments

Pot? Black? Quoting you in another thread .....
>> Do the readers of the group agree about this is mental masturbation?

> from
> people that don't know the most elementary rules of logic and
> reasoning.

Quoting you in another thread ....
>>>What is your take on the ownership of data?
>> "Who pays the bills is completely irrelevant."

>>Practice has substantially changed because the market place
>>in these last 20 years has seen the emergence of what IBM,
>>Oracle and Microsoft call the RDBMS -- what you call the
>>SQL DBMS.
>
> SQL DBMS are older than 20. Oracle V4 was released in 1984.
>
>>Clearly what IBM, Oracle and Microsoft term RDBMS software
>>is DBMS software, which has some right to be termed relational.
>
> And an Isetta has some right to be termed "sport car".

So you are asserting that IBM, Oracle and MS SQL-DBMS have no right to be termed relational?

>>> The industry is not taking full advantage of the Relational Model.
>>

>>Vendors IBM, Oracle and Microsoft are taking a large advantage
>>of the RM.
>
> But a little part of its full advantage.

My point, which you appear to agree with, is that the vendors are indeed taking some advantage from the RM. I am not at this point concerned with 'How Much', only that it is not null.

>>Other implications include the possibility that Date has made the
>>subject of database systems theory unnecessarily esoteric and
>>pedantic, at the expense of usefulness.
>
> A very ill reasonement. It is exactly the contrary.

Possibilities are never eliminated by assertions. Where is the logic to support your assertions?

> SQL DBMS vendors have made the database systems practice unnecesarily
> complex and esoteric at expense of usefulness.

That's why these vendors command over 85% of the database market, with this share increasing every year.

> Date's approach is scientifical and the esoterism is in your side.

Date ignores the proofs of Godel and Chaitin. He may be scientific, but he is at least 80 years behind the implications of current set theory. I will deal with this aspect in future threads.

> The thread's subject is a good example of that.

Are you in this just for the money Alfredo?

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz
www.mountainman.com.au Received on Fri May 27 2005 - 01:36:05 CEST