Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:59:13 GMT

"Alexandr Savinov" <savinov_at_host.com> wrote in message news:425e6687$1_at_news.fhg.de...

>>>It is one of the most important issues IMHO. But you hardly can find a
>>>solution, attempts to solve the problem or even recognition that such a
>>>problem exists. It is clear that there exists two worlds: the world of
>>>code and the world of data.
>>

>> Do you look at this code/data
>> as a type of ying & yang duality?
>
> It is too informal analogy and I am not sure that I understand Chinese
> philosphy (but I like it). The duality is one of the fundamental
> principles existing both in mathematics and physics. Its examples can be
> found everywhere. Here is only some examples;
>
> references/offsets
> point/line
> data/code
> entity/relation
> rows/columns

Yes, I agree. The disciplines of man might like to think themselves unrelated to one another, but they share common problems.

I have thought about this, and concluded that the greatest (and single most cost-incurring expense) related to database systems is RE-definition of data ---- once in the database, and again in the code (wherever the code may actually reside)

>Then the problem is how to formalize these observations and how to use them
>to build some new methods of data/program semantics representation and
>manipulation.

Here is one possible method of formalisation: http://www.mountainman.com.au/software/Theory_of_Organizational_Intelligence.htm

Pete Brown
Falls Creek