Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: Alexandr Savinov <savinov_at_host.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:47:59 +0200

>>>Do you think it is important to address the issue that a model
>>>of both the data objects and the program objects is required?
>>>[As distinct from a model only of the data side of the picture]
>>
>>It is one of the most important issues IMHO. But you hardly can find a
>>solution, attempts to solve the problem or even recognition that such a
>>problem exists. It is clear that there exists two worlds: the world of
>>code and the world of data.

> Do you look at this code/data
> as a type of ying & yang duality?

It is too informal analogy and I am not sure that I understand Chinese philosphy (but I like it). The duality is one of the fundamental principles existing both in mathematics and physics. Its examples can be found everywhere. Here is only some examples;

references/offsets
point/line
data/code
entity/relation
rows/columns

So first we need to identify such dual things in programs, data and processes. Then the problem is how to formalize these observations and how to use them to build some new methods of data/program semantics representation and manipulation.

alex
http://conceptoriented.com Received on Thu Apr 14 2005 - 14:47:59 CEST

Original text of this message