Re: not enough rows, too many rows, and joins

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:37:38 +0000

ford_desperado_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> only your 'more correct' solution is not what the OP wants,
> just read:
> "The difficulties include:
> not getting 2 rows for harry (who has 2 vehicles) "
>
> left our join will retrieve an owner of 2 cars twice, which is
> different from the requirements.
>
> Devil is in the details

Although it's not said explcitly I think the presumption is that no-one will have more than one car (though they may have more than one vehicle):

"I would like to run a query, returning the name, and gender, and colour of car if they have a car, or null if they don't have a car."

Paul. Received on Wed Feb 23 2005 - 21:37:38 CET

Original text of this message