Re: not enough rows, too many rows, and joins

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:52:14 -0000

<ford_desperado_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1109186134.113090.55930_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> only your 'more correct' solution is not what the OP wants,
> just read:
> "The difficulties include:
> not getting 2 rows for harry (who has 2 vehicles) "
>
> left our join will retrieve an owner of 2 cars twice, which is
> different from the requirements.
>
> Devil is in the details

I agree that my solution does not give the meaningless result the OP asks for. Just why SQL starts treating outer joins somewhat sanely after encouraging people such as the OP to believe that duplicate rows are meaningful is a complete mystery to me. Long may it remain so.

Roy Received on Wed Feb 23 2005 - 21:52:14 CET

Original text of this message