Re: Can we solve this -- NFNF and non-1NF at Loggerheads

From: <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: 8 Feb 2005 10:52:59 -0800

David Cressey wrote:

> Eventually, Datatrieve was extended to work with data in databases
like VAX
> DBMS, VAX RDB/VMS, and through the SNA gateway, on data residing on
an IBM
> mainframe.
>
> Unfortunately, Datatrieve got a horrible reputaion for resource
wasting
> among "real programmers". Some of that was deserved. But on
balance, I'd
> say that the real programmers misunderestimated Datatrieve very
badly. It
> was no substitute for a real DBMS, but it sure was handy!

I think we have a mind-body problem here. We are thinking of the DB and app. environment separately when only they together can create an application.

Many 4GL languages were very popular and successful (among others Telon comes to mind),
because they were built with the whole environment in mind. SQL-DMBSes
overtook them and we lost the tight integration between DBMS and application.

SQL-DBMSes are app. environment neutral, which is of course a good thing, but
we are losing in productivity. In my opinion J2EE has set us back 20 years.

regards,
Lauri Pieatrinen Received on Tue Feb 08 2005 - 19:52:59 CET

Original text of this message