Re: Can we solve this -- NFNF and non-1NF at Loggerheads

From: <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2005 15:01:24 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message
>
> > Many 4GL languages were very popular and successful (among others
> > Telon comes to mind),
> > because they were built with the whole environment in mind.
SQL-DMBSes
> > overtook them and we lost the tight integration between DBMS and
> > application.
> >

> I'm not following you. Just what is "tight integration between DBMS
and
> application?"

The application and the database communicate "only" thru SQL, so there is a lot of metadata that is not communicated between the layers, at least not without a lot of effort. I have to confess that I don't have a lot of experience with 4GL's except for SAS (it had a lousy DB, though).

What I mean is that the app environment is not aware of the structure of the DB without lot's of (hand-) coding.

> > SQL-DBMSes are app. environment neutral, which is of course a good
> > thing, but
> > we are losing in productivity. In my opinion J2EE has set us back
20
> > years.
>
> In what way? (Not that I disagree. I just want clarification.)

There has been an artificial layer created between the DB and the UI. You need a lot of code just to get simple stuff the screen. Adding insult to injury you get poor performance.

Lauri Pietarinen Received on Fri Feb 11 2005 - 00:01:24 CET

Original text of this message