Re: Charades [Was: RE: Define "flatten database" ?]

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:11:12 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1107020354.851742_at_yasure...
> Dan wrote:
>>
>> http://www.extension.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_gen.asp
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Dan
>
> I happen to know that I never taught Oracle Certification. What I
> taught was a class that led to a University of Washington certificate
> that had nothing to do with Oracle and its certs.

Nothing to do with Oracle? I understand the consultant mentality to sell oneself, but quit while you are ahead.

I think that anyone who accesses the link above can see how Oracle-centric the program is. A curriculum is published.

[snip]

 The other a curriculum
> that I custom developed for the university approved by the Computer
> Science faculty and only taught to grad students ... to qualify for
> my class requires a BA or BS.

Well, two things: (1) I certainly wouldn't forget attribution to Jack Cline for program development, and (2) it is not only taught to grad students; professionals with no academic aspirations can apply and register as well. Moreover, degree is not necessarily a criterion for admission. Admission requirements state the following:

"Participants should have at least four years of undergraduate education, technical training, or equivalent experience; familiarity with a programming language; and a basic understanding of database management concepts (How to register.
http://www.extension.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_hta.asp)."

> If you have a point ... make it.

Ok. My point is this: You are NOT a professor at a university and you do not teach a formal undergraduate or graduate curriculum, nor are you necessarily qualified to do so. You teach in a professionalization program (approved by the univerisity as an extension certificate program) focusing on specific and single vendor set of technologies.

Passively letting people make the assumption you are a university instructor, using wording that insinuates that fact, or perpetuating the myth with misleading wording is as bad as actual active misrepresentation or lying.

[snip]
> End of thread
> as I'll not respond to this nonsense again.

Well Daniel, that would be a change. There are very few instances (over the course of many years) where I can recall you resisting the impulse or temptation of getting the last word in.

Regards,

  • Dan