Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:36:16 -0800

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:48:59 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>>

>>>Probably. But if you can do it in MSDE, then why would you want to do it
>>>in any other DBMS?
>>
>>Linux rather than Windows. Not have the GUI overhead. Not have a large
>>percentage of CPU wasted by the o/s. Not have to spend much of my time
>>running antivirus and anti-spyware programs.
>

> Hi DA,
>
> Most small to medium sized companies already have some Windows systems
> deployed. For their bookkeeping, for instance, or for the correspondence.

If my correspondence you mean MS Word I agree. But middle sized firms most run their accounting systems on some flavour of *NIX. Midsize is not a found hundred or a few thousand employees. Midsize is tens of thousands of employees. Amazon.com, for example, is midsize. IBM and GM and Boeing are large. I think you are referring to what I would call hot-dog stands to small business and in that area I would agree.

But even if you aren't watching ... MS is ... and Linux is the flavour of the decade.

> They are concerned with running their business, not with learning
> computers, so they LIKE a pretty and intuitive GUI. They are already used
> to the Windows look-and-feel. They'd have a hard time converting to any
> other OS.

Exactly what is the difference between the Windows GUI and the RedHat Linux GUI? Lets see ... I take my mouse and move it to the bottom left side of the screen. I left mouse click on <START or the Red Hat>. A menu pops up. I select what I want from the menu with a left mouse click. You underestimate people's intelligence.

> The CPU spends most of it's time twiddling thumbs.

Not in the database world which is the topic of this discussion. The CPU often is pegged at 100%.

> Depending on size, they either have an antivirus/antispyware protection
> that auto-updates, or a (part-time) system administrator to keep the
> network safely running. Adding one extra Windows server to the network to
> run MSDE on, or installing MSDE on a little used machine won't add much
> burden. Introducing a new OS (Linux) would be more trouble.

That's not what experience teaches. Experience teaches that databases, remember the subject here isn't email and MS Word, use a lot of resources. And if you don't need it then you are probably just fine with a small box of 3x5 cards.

>>>The only statement I made, is that ERP systems for small to middle sized
>>>company should run fine with MSDE as the backend database.
>>>Best, Hugo
>>
>>Obviously your definition of middle sized is not mine. What I would call
>>middle sized would choke on MSDE and would say no to any product based
>>on it for several reasons.
>>
>>1. If we grow then what?
>
> Upgrade to SQL Server Standard Edition: USD 2,249 for Server License + 10
> Device Client Access Licenses, or USD 4,999 per processor for Processor
> License (no Client Access Licenses required).
> Source: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.asp

Oracle Oracle SE1 where more functionality can be had for 1/2 that price. Then again if they had started with a better database on a better o/s they wouldn't have to upgrade at all would they.

>>2. No support
>
> If I buy an ERP package, I expect support from the ERP vendor, not from
> the vendor of the database used by the ERP package.

I do to. But they don't provide support for MSDE which was the subject before you tried to change it to the ERP package.

>>3. Poor ability to recover transactions if a problem occurs
>
> Evidence?

University of Washington. EE1 room 037. Schedule an appointment.

>>4. MS will likely drop it in a year or two and then they are stuck
>> just as MS is gearing up now to drop .NET
>
> MS is in the beta phase for SQL Server 2005. Like SQL Server 2000, the
> 2005 version will also feature a free edition (SQL Server Express) with
> some limitations. These limitations will be even less than the limitations
> imposed on MSDE: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/default.asp

So, in other words, it is already dropped.

> So yes, you are right that MS will likely drop support for MSDE and other
> editions of SQL Server 2000 - but as a result of introducing a new
> version, not because they drop the product.

And just like when a certain very large aerospace company made the mistake of building small apps in Access 2 then had to rewrite ever line of code to upgrade to Access 95 then rewrite most lines of code to upgrade to Access 97 ... you will just write of the entire thing. Nice that you can ... most business owners would not be so charitable.

>>5. Forces running on the Windows o/s
>
> Which is actuall a GOod Thing for many companies, as they already have
> Windows deployed, but no other OS'es.
>
> Best, Hugo

So is stubbing your toe if it keeps you from thinking about your headache. That one made mistake in the past is not a valid reason for continuing to make a mistake. One good virus, trojan horse, or spyware attack and you may have nothing but burnt toast.

Two major firms in the World Trade Center in New York went out of business. Not because of the loss of life. Not because of the horrible tradegy that took place. But because of an inability to recover their data. That lesson has not been lost on serious business people. And even if you are not impressed by the implications ... Mr. Balmer is.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington