Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:24:50 +0100

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:48:59 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>
>> Probably. But if you can do it in MSDE, then why would you want to do it
>> in any other DBMS?
>
>Linux rather than Windows. Not have the GUI overhead. Not have a large
>percentage of CPU wasted by the o/s. Not have to spend much of my time
>running antivirus and anti-spyware programs.

Hi DA,

Most small to medium sized companies already have some Windows systems deployed. For their bookkeeping, for instance, or for the correspondence.

They are concerned with running their business, not with learning computers, so they LIKE a pretty and intuitive GUI. They are already used to the Windows look-and-feel. They'd have a hard time converting to any other OS.

The CPU spends most of it's time twiddling thumbs. They couldn't care less if the percentage idle of the CPU drops from 99.5% to 99.1%. In fact, they probably don't know what processor idle time is at all.

Depending on size, they either have an antivirus/antispyware protection that auto-updates, or a (part-time) system administrator to keep the network safely running. Adding one extra Windows server to the network to run MSDE on, or installing MSDE on a little used machine won't add much burden. Introducing a new OS (Linux) would be more trouble.

>> The only statement I made, is that ERP systems for small to middle sized
>> company should run fine with MSDE as the backend database.
>> Best, Hugo
>
>Obviously your definition of middle sized is not mine. What I would call
>middle sized would choke on MSDE and would say no to any product based
>on it for several reasons.
>
>1. If we grow then what?

Upgrade to SQL Server Standard Edition: USD 2,249 for Server License + 10 Device Client Access Licenses, or USD 4,999 per processor for Processor License (no Client Access Licenses required). Source: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.asp

>2. No support

If I buy an ERP package, I expect support from the ERP vendor, not from the vendor of the database used by the ERP package.

>3. Poor ability to recover transactions if a problem occurs

Evidence?

>4. MS will likely drop it in a year or two and then they are stuck
> just as MS is gearing up now to drop .NET

MS is in the beta phase for SQL Server 2005. Like SQL Server 2000, the 2005 version will also feature a free edition (SQL Server Express) with some limitations. These limitations will be even less than the limitations imposed on MSDE: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/default.asp

So yes, you are right that MS will likely drop support for MSDE and other editions of SQL Server 2000 - but as a result of introducing a new version, not because they drop the product.

BTW, they won't drop support in "a year or two", but in 5 to 10 years after SQL Server 2005 is introduced:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/may04/05-25ExpandsCommitmentPR.asp

>5. Forces running on the Windows o/s

Which is actuall a GOod Thing for many companies, as they already have Windows deployed, but no other OS'es.

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)