Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:50:04 +0100

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:12:17 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

(snip)
>I don't think they would sell one more license and the reason is simple.
>Developers know about this. Oracle DBAs don't unless they are also DBAs
>on other systems. But software like financial applications, CRM, HR,
>etc. are purchased by management and at $1.00 for every manager that
>ever asked developers for an opinion and listened to it you would go
>broke in a week. I watched a group at AT&T Wireless tell management a
>partiular CRM system was a disaster based on previous hands-on
>experience with it. One golf game over-rode all of that advice.

Hi DA,

You know, I'm pretty cynical about the decision-making process in big firms. But I must admit that I've now met my master.

>>>Then
>>>look at it from the standpoint of all of the major application vendors
>>>such as SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel, Baan, etc. whose code sits on top of
>>>Oracle? How much of their code would need to be rewriten and retested?
>>

>> Much. It would cost them in the short run. But in the long run, they would
>> the advantage that poorting their systems to another RDBMS becomes easier
>> (or should I say: less hard).
>
>That might be of interest to them but give me one reason why Oracle
>would want to facilitate that? Just one. I can't think of any.

Keeping the big application vendors happy, maybe? Ensuring that these vendors, when pressured by their customers to move to other DB platforms, won't drop Oracle but rather add support for another platform (with the lower price point for SQL Server licenses and the easier setup and administration, I can imagine that many small-to-medium-sized businesses are pressuring the ERP vendors to move to MS). Or the extra sales these firms may make when they reassure their customers that they can easily upgrade to the mainframe version if their business continues to grow?

Anyway, you asked me to look at it from the standpoint of the major application vendors and I did - so you shouldn't complain that this might not be advantegeous to Oracle.

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)