Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:12:17 -0800

Comments in-line.

Hugo Kornelis wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:22:45 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:
>
> (snip)
>

>>And if Oracle did it would they sell one more database license? Would
>>there be any revenue generated in exchange for the massive expense?

> Hi DA,
>
> Yes, I think they would sell more licenses. At the moment there will be
> companies looking into converting their database to Oracle and deciding
> against it because of the amount of work involved in rewriting the code to
> cater for the non-standard treatment of empty strings as NULLs.

I don't think they would sell one more license and the reason is simple. Developers know about this. Oracle DBAs don't unless they are also DBAs on other systems. But software like financial applications, CRM, HR, etc. are purchased by management and at $1.00 for every manager that ever asked developers for an opinion and listened to it you would go broke in a week. I watched a group at AT&T Wireless tell management a partiular CRM system was a disaster based on previous hands-on experience with it. One golf game over-rode all of that advice.

>>Then
>>look at it from the standpoint of all of the major application vendors
>>such as SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel, Baan, etc. whose code sits on top of
>>Oracle? How much of their code would need to be rewriten and retested?

> Much. It would cost them in the short run. But in the long run, they would
> the advantage that poorting their systems to another RDBMS becomes easier
> (or should I say: less hard).

That might be of interest to them but give me one reason why Oracle would want to facilitate that? Just one. I can't think of any.

Regards,

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington