Re: Network databases

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:24:09 +0100

On 12 Jan 2005 08:42:44 -0800, lynn_at_garlic.com wrote:

>the argument from the 70s was that the original relational database
>used
>indexes to effectively automate some amount of system administrative
>overhead (associated with physical pointers) at cost in disk space,
>real memory space, and processing time (trading off computer &
>processing resource against people time) ... this was somewhat
>independent of information organizational issue ... but physical
>implementation.

There were more than one arguments in the 70s :)

I have readen some of Codd's contributions to the great debate of the 70's and it was all about the logical model.

>there are other types of information where relatively trivial
>normalization can result in several hundred tables and there is little
>difference in the query complexity facing a user with respect to
>complex joins vis-a-vis network navigation

I can't disagree more!

It is exactly the contrary. There is little difference if you have two tables or less, but the difference increases exponentially when the number of tables grows.

It is very easy to manage many tables at the same time using updateable views. And you might create views that use views.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Wed Jan 12 2005 - 20:24:09 CET

Original text of this message