Re: Table design for application options

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:20:58 -0600

"B-17" <mhammer111_at_msn.com> wrote in message news:1105218631.770034.142180_at_c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Neo wrote:
>> While a model's flaws makes is "fatal" for some scope of
>> applications, doesn't it make it more efficient for some limited
> cases?
>> Do you know of a data model without flaws? Which one? What exactly is
>> a "fatal flaw" with respect to data models?
>
> Although the article (for which I provided a link) answers all of these
> questions, I can quickly point out one key MV shortcoming (out of quite
> a few): lack of data independance. At one time I thought MV could be
> useful for smaller, specific operations, but this flaw alone makes MV
> undesireable for even the most narrow or "vertical" application.

I'm not certain how you are using the phrase "data independence". Could you give an example of where this flaw would pose problems for a system designed for MV but not for an RDBMS? The way you understand this term, would data stored in a set of XML documents exhibit this same problem? Sorry to be dense, but thanks in advance.
--dawn Received on Sat Jan 08 2005 - 23:20:58 CET

Original text of this message