Re: 1GB Tables as Classes, or Tables as Types, and all that refuted

From: Ja Lar <ingen_at_mail.her>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:12:23 +0100

"erk" <eric.kaun_at_pnc.com> ...

> I'd say Luca Cardelli, Kim Bruce, Benjamin Pierce, and Ian Joyner are
> far more "serious."
And that list probably can be extended with more names - only strengthens my point.
I chose Fowler as a very well known and respected name in a broad sense - including real, practical issues.

>Fowler is good at some practical applications of
> O-O, but he doesn't address fundamentals like variables vs. values vs.
> objects, which are critical.
Fowler does understand and talks eg about value-types and reference-types etc.

>But for some good design ideas focused on reuse, his ideas are sound.
His ideas are sound well beyond reuse. His views on frameworks, including persistence, are quite "loyal" to relational thinking when relevant.

> And I still think that fundamental variable/value confusion is
> responsible for much needless coupling, implementation exposure,
> aliasing problems, etc. I've seen it, and the problems can be both
> severe and subtle.
Certainly, much confusion in general is responsible for many problems. Received on Thu Dec 09 2004 - 21:12:23 CET

Original text of this message