Re: Logical equivalence of simple and complex types under the relational model?

From: Rene de Visser <Rene_de_Visser_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:33:51 +0100

"Paul" <paul_at_test.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:41acdfd0$0$9345$ed2619ec_at_ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
> Rene de Visser wrote:
> The way I see it, DBMSs consist of two (orthogonal) components: a type
> system and a relational system. If the DBMS can decompose a value using
> the relational system alone, it's a complex value. If it needs the help of
> the type system to decompose the value, it's a simple value.

What exactly do you mean by "if it needs the help of the type system to decompose the value, its a simple value"?

How do you know if the relational system is "using the help of the type system"?

In some senses the relational system is always using the type system for everything.
i.e. you can't have tuples without relational variables and domains, and without types you don't have these.

So I guess your meaning something special by the above?

Rene. Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 23:33:51 CET

Original text of this message