Re: Two meanings of "data structures"

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:31:36 GMT

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:8oik62-3vd.ln1_at_pluto.downsfam.net...
> I wonder if the literature has any well-known or popularly accepted works
> that map the data structures that we learn about in coding classes -- those
> being arrays, linked lists, hash tables and so forth -- to the relational
> model.
>
> By this I do not mean books that explain techniques in one or the other,
> there are plenty of those, but rather something that provides a mapping
> between them. More specifically, the modelling of lists and arrays and
> such in RDM.

This is not an answer to your question, but I've wondered about a similar question. In Java, for example, one models everything with objects, and one has pre-built objects that model various generic data structures. If one wants a linked list, one uses java.util.LinkedList, etc. etc. In contrast, with RDM, one has to know how to model, for example, a tree with an adjacency list, or with a materialized path, etc.

What I wonder about is, is there a way to achieve the drop-in property that OO gives you with RDM? It doesn't seem obvious how one would do that.

Marshall Received on Mon Nov 15 2004 - 17:31:36 CET

Original text of this message