Re: The TransRelational Model: Performance Concerns

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:06:38 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:4194b815.8905203_at_news.wanadoo.es...
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:53:35 +0100, "Rene de Visser"
> <Rene_de_Visser_at_hotmail.de> wrote:

 that
> the implementation of the TRM tables don't use BTrees or hashing
> techniques

Wasn't the paper quite explicit that binary searches over binary relations were used in contrast to B*Trees? I did not see this validated exactly in that way in the patent, but I haven't read far enough.

The one thing that bothered me was the structure of reconstruction tables. The OP's analysis indicated that we can think of the relationship/linkage between attributes as binary relations. I think this confused me. I was thinking of a complete set of binary relations. Thus for a table of degree n, I was thinking there should be either n(n-1) or n(n-1)/2 relations depending on whether the binary relations had some reflexivity property.

This is obviously not the case after closer reading. But a linked, ordered reconstruction table bothers me. For relations of large degree, there seems to me to be a fixed overhead in traversing all attributes.

I was only able to read some of the patent application carefully, but I thought I read where it states that TRM "obviates" the need for hashing techniques.

, that a relation or a significant part of a 100000 tuples
> relation don't fit in main memory, he only considers the disk page

But he makes the same assumption with the conventional relational DBMS as well. This puts it on equal footing doesn't it?

> He also assumes that we need to make room for the inserts and the room
> is not already there.

If field value tables are really ordered domains, any new value in each one will require overhead to place the new value in the correct spot, no?

> Etc, etc.
>
> To only analize single relation queries is more than enough to
> discard the analisys.

I agree that I would have liked to see some multi-relation manipulation comparisons. I also saw some striking similarities to the concept of the index-organized table (IOT) in terms of strengths and weaknesses (this is simliar to Marshall's note on the inverted index).

I don't agree that focus a single aspect or problem is necessarily bad; but drawing a sweeping conclusion might be tough to base it on. Received on Fri Nov 12 2004 - 18:06:38 CET

Original text of this message