Re: Demo: Things in Hierarchies (w/o RM/SQL)

From: Nick Landsberg <SPAMhukolauTRAP_at_SPAMworldnetTRAP.att.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:14:49 GMT

Neo wrote:

>>>Argh, my analogy afforded you too many interpretations :)  What does
>>>an expert mechanic use if none of his fixed size wrenches fit an
>>>odd/uncommon size nut or bolt?
>>
>>The comparison to Databases? the tinkerer will work on Xcel
>>spreadsheets and ACCESS databases and cannot use ORACLE or SYBASE
>>because they really do not understand (have the SQL skills/tools) to
>>mess with it.

> Could you post a SQL script to represent/query the things in the
> original post? Then I would like to add/modify the original data to
> simulate the equivalent of a non-standard size bolt and see how the
> tools (RM vs XDb2) handle such situations.

You're missing the point, Neo.

(I was away on a business trip and came back to this discussion just now.)

In the original posts, which you snipped and presented without attributions, you posited that XDB2 was the generic tool and that others (e.g. RM) were more specific tools. You admitted in another post that a more specific tool would probably outperform a more generic tool for a given problem. We (or at least I) had no intention of having you model specific vs. generic tools in your, ahem, database implementation.

Get a grip.

NPL

--
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof
because fools are so ingenious"