Re: Signal to Noise Ration on DBDebunk Declining

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:38:16 GMT

"hungrylion2004" <hungrylion2004_at_zworg.com> wrote in message news:340f01c5.0411090849.6f5b5320_at_posting.google.com...
> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<NwTjd.73487$R05.68743@attbi_s53>...
> >
> > Indeed. When you consider the volume of stuff on citeseer, one becomes
> > less interested in paying for content.
> >

> Oh sure, stuff from citeseer is being discussed here all the time <g>.
> The "guru's" like Pascal, Fowler, etc are always referring to
> citeseer. And finally, those dang pop science books are rotting on
> the shelves while the public soaks up citeseer.
>
> So, less interested? I think not.

Um, I don't get your point. You're saying you prefer pop-sci books to hard science? I wasn't trying to say that citeseer was for everyone; I was saying that I'm not interested in an ACM membership because it's so expensive and citeseer is free and convenient.

But that's just for one specific domain. The same principle applies in other domains. Short sighted newspapers with obnoxious registration policies will get less traffic than those that are freely searchable and browsable, and there the dollar cost is zero.

Marshall Received on Wed Nov 10 2004 - 19:38:16 CET

Original text of this message