Re: Demo: Things in Hierarchies (w/o RM/SQL)

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2004 11:44:26 -0800

neo55592_at_hotmail.com (Neo) wrote in message news:<4b45d3ad.0411071038.5e7bc9bc_at_posting.google.com>...
> > The average homeowner, who only does maintenance on weekends in his/her
> > spare time, cannot afford to invest in a complete mechanic's tool set with
> > dozens of fixed-size wrenches, and will thus opt for a a few adjustable
> > wrenches. The expert mechanic, (working on Kenworth, Peterbilt and GMC
> > trucks for a living) cannot afford *not* to invest in a complete mechanic's
> > tool kit. So, are you saying that TM is for the tinkerer and dilletante
> > rather than the expert?
>
> Argh, my analogy afforded you too many interpretations :) What does
> an expert mechanic use if none of his fixed size wrenches fit an
> odd/uncommon size nut or bolt?

The real mechanic buys the custom tool to match the custome bolt BECAUSE... It is likely the manufacturer Designed It That Way so weekend grease monkeys WON'T MESS WITH IT.

You ever wonder why some vehicles have BOTH metric and english unit bolds? Or have all three (slotted, phillips, AND star) screws?

The comparison to Databases? the tinkerer will work on Xcel spreadsheets and ACCESS databases and cannot use ORACLE or SYBASE because they really do not understand (have the SQL skills/tools) to mess with it.

ed. Received on Mon Nov 08 2004 - 20:44:26 CET

Original text of this message