Re: Relational vs network vs hierarchic databases

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 7 Nov 2004 21:26:01 GMT

After a long battle with technology, "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>, an earthling, wrote:
> "Fredrik Bertilsson" <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se> wrote in message
>> Sometimes when debating with OO people they claim that network and
>> hierarchic databases are better than relational databases. I can't see
>> any problem space that would be easier to model with the network or
>> hierarchic model.
>
> What about the web? It is based on a graph model, with links from
> one node to another, with each node being a function mapping a URL
> to the value(s) associated with it. I doubt that a relational model
> would have had the type of sweeping impact of the di-graph of
> functions that is the web. --dawn

Oddly enough, it's trivial to construct a relational model of a web-style digraph.

Perhaps you should try finding something that _can't_ be easily modelled in a relational model, instead.

--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in name ^ "_at_" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/emacs.html