Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:48:06 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:ybCdnbl0vtbfrhfcRVn-ig_at_comcast.com...

> "Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_mail.ocis.net> wrote in message
>
>> Well, you harp about a mathematical proof for the necessity of
>> 1NF, so how you supply a mathematical proof?
>
> I beg your pardon, but it's not up to her to prove this, mathematically.
> If
> her assertion that Codd et al never made such a claim holds up to the
> study
> of the published work, then her claim of the absence of demonstrated
> methematical necessity for 1NF stands.

Well, then it doesn't stand any longer, does it?

> If the were to make a further claim that 1NF is mathematically
> unnecessary,
> it would be necessary for her to back up that claim. But her claim, AFAIK
> is not that. It is that there is no claim or proof that 1NF is
> mathematically necessary.

I disagree. This is exactly how I interpreted her statements. I would like to see someone follow through for once.

> But her expereince is that 1NF was a huge obstacle to productivity among
> Oracle teams, when compared to COBOL/CICS teams or Pick teams.

I still wonder whether this is actually experience or a hidden agenda. Empirical proof would do a lot to bolster her case. You have chosen to give her the benefit of the doubt; I have chosen not to. I remember the tone and content when she first arrived here.

  • Dan