Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:13:13 -0500

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

> "Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message

>> erk wrote:
>>

>> > In other words, what I need is a relational expression language which
>> > operates over my GUI and business data as nicely as it can over
>> > "persistent" data, since it's all just data. The constraints keep me
>> > honest, in a much more expressive and effective way than Java's assert
>> > (which has some minimal uses), and even more than preconditions and
>> > postconditions a la iContract (since relational constraints are over
>> > one or more relations, not on a single class or method).
>> >

>> Let's say jave pulls down what we'll call an "EKDC", for "E"rk and
>> "K"en's
>> "D"iscussion "C"ursor.  You execute some command like:
>>
>> EKD EKD1 = connection.Execute("Select * from table");
>>          // note no statement object
>>
>> Then perhaps:
>>
>> EKD.Command("update this set some_Column = " + blah");
>> EKD.Push();
>>
>> Just a bunch of junk code, but meant to demonstrate the use of SQL

> locally,
>> what about that?  Why invent a new format for Java?

> And how did you know to make the GUI component an xyz component so that
> the
> user could select only valid values, for example? In other words, how is
> the GUI savvy to the business rules in your example? Either I'm missing
> something or you are with the example. --dawn

Well, shoot, I did say "junk code".

The idea was to suggest, in vaguely java-like syntax, the idea that you could manipulate client data locally using SQL. It seems to me a low order of priority to invent another data manipulation language for the client when we already have one on the server.

One product that can do this, including biz rules, is Visual Foxpro, but for some reason people look at it and see a server (which it is not), then they enumerate its problems as a server (like describing all of the ways an apple is not a banana), and their brains turn off and they are unable to see what it is good at, which is exatly what erk was asking for. It is the world's ultimate db client.

To describe VFP I'd have to use the words of Kurt Vonnegut in discussing sci-fi, "It is in a file the critics have mistaken for urinal."

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to