Re: Attention Experienced Professionals

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:27:36 -0400

"ats" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1097466882.758451_at_yasure...
> Laconic2 wrote:
> > Alan,
> >
> > I believe you.
> >
> > But I think it's just a symptom of a deeper problem.
>
> Which, I presume would be, the lack of ethical behavior in our society
> and the lack of pressure from peers to behave ethically?

Basically, yes.

But those forces have been at work in all societies at all times, to a greater or lesser degree.

I think there's been a fundamental cultural shift, at least in the US, away from the "protestant world ethic" and towards the "victim entitlement". Fifty years ago, people who wanted to see their fantasies acted out on TV, with ordinary people, would watch "Queen for a Day". Today, it's "You're Fired".

Fifty years ago, people who cheated on their income tax were seen as enemies of society. Today, the IRS, is seen as an enemy of the individual. (Society be damned).

Fifty years ago, the honor code would have protected against cheating at the US military schools. There have been numerous incidents in the last couple of decades were, not only was cheating going on, but where the non cheaters followed the code of silence rather than the code of honor.

I could go on, but these are all symptoms.

Alan pointed to examples involving foreign students, and I'm sure those are relevant. But my examples involves Americans themselves. I've painted it black and white, but the truth is more subtle. Charley Van Doren was being fed answers in the $64K question, while I presume the present Jeopardy hyper champ is on the level.

To summarize: Among the Donald Trumps of the world, if you got a degree because you learned the skills and knowledge to be a competent professional, your skills will be obsolete in five years. But if you got a degree by learning how to cheat and how to negotiate, you've got skills that will last your whole career. Received on Mon Oct 11 2004 - 14:27:36 CEST

Original text of this message