Re: Attention Experienced Professionals

From: ats <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:06:45 -0700

Laconic2 wrote:

> "ats" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Laconic2 wrote:
>>
>>>Alan,
>>>
>>>I believe you.
>>>
>>>But I think it's just a symptom of a deeper problem.
>>
>>Which, I presume would be, the lack of ethical behavior in our society
>>and the lack of pressure from peers to behave ethically?

> Basically, yes.
>
> But those forces have been at work in all societies at all times, to a
> greater or lesser degree.
>
> I think there's been a fundamental cultural shift, at least in the US, away
> from the "protestant world ethic" and towards the "victim entitlement".

That's a fine bit of political puditry but without much reality. Sure there's sense of victim entitlement. There is also a sense of corporate entitlement. And a sense of entitlement by the super-wealthy. Did you know that here in the Puget Sound region Bill Gates, richest man on the planet now or ever objected to his property tax bill and claimed he couldn't afford it. What a pathetic excuse for a responsible human being.

Don't just blame it on victims ... it is society wide.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington