Re: XML: The good, the bad, and the ugly

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:32:59 -0400

"Lemming" <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:afp5m0tfejeosbivqqq89b059bhu8i0u7d_at_4ax.com...

> It still seems to me that XML is just another file format, slightly
> more humanly readable than csv, but no more intelligible to a machine
> without specific programming to tell the machine what to do with the
> contents of the XML, and perhaps less so.

IMO, XML is a lot more than csv, although a lot less than a DBMS. The X stands for Xtensible, and they really mean it. You can use it to transport a stream of tuples, but that's just the beginning.

There is lots to learn in there.

> But I must ask: why do we have to pick a "one-size-fits-all" approach?
> Why is that better than deciding what is best for a particular
> application?

Why do we all use binary? Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 22:32:59 CEST

Original text of this message