Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:30:20 GMT

"Tony Andrews" <andrewst_at_onetel.com> wrote in message news:1096991113.299376.301190_at_h37g2000oda.googlegroups.com...

> I don't agree with your triggers-instead-of-constraints approach, for
> reasons given elsewhere. But I do agree with the aim of getting all
> the errors at once. The best way for that to happen would be for the
> DBMS to have an option to apply all the applicable constraints, and to
> return a set of errors instead of just the first error.

Yes!

> Of course, you still won't like the vendor message, but that's OK
> because you can intercept it in your application code and replace with
> a nice message. Some work, but a lot less than rolling your own
> constraint triggers I bet.

One never likes the message. There is only one specific database instance, and applications are localized to many different natural languages. I've given up on the idea of embedding useful visible messages in code; it never works.

Marshall Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 18:30:20 CEST

Original text of this message