Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 3 Oct 2004 18:09:07 -0700

Leandro GuimarĂ£es Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.10.03.14.01.58.598171_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>...
> Em Sun, 03 Oct 2004 03:50:03 -0700, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:

> > They have in the most modern languages like VB.NET and C#.
>
> Alfredo, I am not a programmer and you know that, but judging
> for your examples it seems you (1) consider being 'modern' something
> good

It was not my intention. I consider VB.NET and C# mediocre languages.

>, (2) VB.Net and C# 'modern',

They were released in the end of 2001 if I remember correctly.

> (3) restrict yourself to the MS .Net
> platform.

It was only a counter example.

> Well, VB.Net and C# are not that modern -- indeed, they are
> little more than rehashings of (Visual) BASIC and Java (C++) for the
> MS .Net platform.

Agreed, perhaps I should have said "recent".

> They are not good examples, since they are restricted to the
> MS .Net platform, unless you count Ximian's implementation of C# in
> Mono, which I don't think mature.

This is not important for me. They are languages and that's all.

> and that SQL data
> types are not a good example, SQL not being extensible in any sane
> manner.

SQL has many variants, and each one is extensible in different ways (or not extensible at all). I am not completely happy with any of them, but some of them (like RealSQL and FirstSQL) are a lot better than others.

Regards Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 03:09:07 CEST

Original text of this message