Frequently Supplied Answers

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:26:27 -0400

The problem in c.d.t. as I see it is not the questions that keep recurring, but the answers that keep recurring, over and over again. Here's a sample:

"First, off, it would help if you posted DDL with your question, instead of
the half assed table descriptions you gave us. Second, I can tell right away by your use terms like "records" and "fields" that you aren't even thinking in terms of SETS! Until you learn how to express the problem in terms of sets, you'll never get anywhere! Now that we've established that you're a basket case, here's the answer to your simpleminded problem..."

"If you really want to build a relational database, why are you using an SQL
DBMS?"
"Why do you want you tie yourself down with a bulky, expensive DBMS,
anyway? All the really smart application programmers (like me) get lots more bang for the buck using a simple language like 'Pick'!"

"If you weren't an inferior intellect with an untutored mind, you would not
have any problems with normalisation to begin with. It's a sign that you do not think logically. Next time, tell your manager to hire someone qualified to design the database!"

"Have you considered 'Star Schema' instead? Why don't you go off and study
data warehousing for about six months, and then come back and see if you're asking the same question?"

OK, so these are parodies of some of the regulars (including one of myself). But something along these lines is the first answer to almost any low level question asked in this forum, depending on who answers first. And none of the regulars is going to change his/her mind, no matter how many times these answers get posted!

Maybe we should just catalog all these answers, and pop them up every time a newbie wanders in! Received on Wed Sep 29 2004 - 22:26:27 CEST

Original text of this message