Re: pre-FAQ

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:44:43 -0400

http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/comp/comp.databases.theory

> > From John.Roddick_at_levels.unisa.edu.au Sat Apr 4 02:42:44 1992
> > Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,comp.databases,comp.ai
> > From: John.Roddick_at_levels.unisa.edu.au
> > Subject: RFD: comp.databases.theory
> > Sender: tale_at_cs.rpi.edu
> > Date: 13 Jan 92 16:11:38 GMT
> >
> > Maybe the time has come to set up another database newsgroup. The
> > trouble with COMP.DATABASES is twofold. Firstly the volume of stuff
> > posted makes it impossible to read it all, expecially when time is
> > limited, and secondly, from my point of view (and I suspect others)
> > most of the postings are too much problem solving ("I've got this
> > problem with Oracle") and not enough discussion.
> >
> > How about the following:
> > COMP.DATABASE - as now
> > COMP.DATABASE.THEORY - discussion of db theory and paradigms
> > COMP.DATABASE.AI \
> > or - discussion of expert databases etc.
> > COMP.AI.DATABASE / (if sufficient demand)
> >
> > John Roddick
> > --
> > School of Mathematics and Computer Studies | International +61 8
302 3463
> > University of South Australia | Australian (08) 302
3463
> > Levels Campus Pooraka | Internal ext.
3463
> > South Australia 5095 | Fax (08) 302 3381
> > Net: john.roddick_at_levels.unisa.edu.AU |

A few months ago, I suggested a new newsgroup,

COMP.DATABASES.DESIGN The idea was to provide separate fora (forums?) for the discussion of how to make the best use of a generic existing DBMS, and the theory of construction of the DBMS itself. This forum would address primarily the latter.

The new forum would collect in one place design issues that come up over and over again in the various product specific fora but are general problems for a whole class of DBMS products, such as the Relational DBMS products.

Some people reacted favorably to the idea. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to make it happen. I wonder if somebody else has both the resources and the interest to actually bring forth such a newsgroup. Received on Tue Sep 28 2004 - 10:44:43 CEST

Original text of this message