Re: The problem with denormalization.

From: Craig Alexander Morrison <reply_at_newsgroups.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:38:18 +0100

One wonders if people do not know how to normalise data within the problem domain.

What I mean is that one should aim to normalise the data for use in the system being developed not for the real world.

Most business applications represent a subset of the real world. Some businesses that may even be thought of as the same type of business can use its data in different ways resulting in a couple of perfectly normalised databases that are not identical in structure.

Reporting can allow a different database design to the production database but still be normalised in its problem domain.

Usually people "denormalise" because they have attempted to normalise the real world for use in a business system.

Just a thought.

--
Slainte

Craig Alexander Morrison