Re: On view updating

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:03:14 -0400

> Suppose I have a database that store employee details and has the
> classic "emp" table. Now a new employee needs to be added. I ask someone
> what his name is and I'm told: "It's definitely either Bill or John, but
> I can't remember which." (a bit contrived but still...)

That might be a little contrived in the case of a personnel database, but it's not at all contrived if our database contains "partial license plates, as reported by eyewitnesses to a crime" There, knowing that "the last digit was either a 3 or an 8" is both entirely within the realm of possibility, but it might be a crucial fact to recall in order to make a timely arrest. Received on Sun Sep 26 2004 - 20:03:14 CEST

Original text of this message