Re: Specifying all biz rules in relational data

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:17:16 -0400

Laconic2 wrote:

> "Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message

>> created a unit of measure in his honor, the "Nillion".  A Nillion is a
>> measure of throughput, one Nillion is one million records per second, in
>> honor of the man we believe will be the first to get there.  Of course,
>> you'll have to deal with Foxpro DOS on OS/2 to do it, but what price
>> perfection?  :)

> Without disparaging your colleague Nils, I think the "nillion barrier"
> was broken some 20 years ago, using mainframes.
> I'm not sure of my stats, but I believe I've seen it broken on a 6800
> running Oracle on AIX, some 5 years ago. I wouldn't know about Foxpro on
> OS/2.

Too bad there is not a little smiley emoticon for "tongue-in-cheek", which I would have put on that paragraph. We don't take the "nillion" very seriously and I don't really use it myself, except to tell that story about Nils.

> eventually you can
> let the system do your bragging for you.

You must be a true hacker. :)

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to