Re: Specifying all biz rules in relational data

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:00:23 -0400

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:em4sic.mu2.ln_at_mercury.downsfam.net...
> created a unit of measure in his honor, the "Nillion". A Nillion is a
> measure of throughput, one Nillion is one million records per second, in
> honor of the man we believe will be the first to get there. Of course,
> you'll have to deal with Foxpro DOS on OS/2 to do it, but what price
> perfection? :)

Without disparaging your colleague Nils, I think the "nillion barrier" was broken some 20 years ago, using mainframes. I'm not sure of my stats, but I believe I've seen it broken on a 6800 running Oracle on AIX, some 5 years ago. I wouldn't know about Foxpro on OS/2.

In my last Oracle contract, the DBA tried to teach me "hints". My reply was, "I'll learn hints when I need to." I think she decided I was truly a moron. But later, when my simple star schema began outperforming the "near real time" interactive database, she began to realize that I was not as clueless as she first imagined. It takes people a while to catch on to the difference between optimizing a system and optimizing all of its subsystems. But, unless they are invincibly ignorant, eventually you can let the system do your bragging for you. Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 18:00:23 CEST

Original text of this message