Re: About Itzik's "Maintaining Hierarchies"

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:34:00 -0400

"robert" <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com> wrote in message news:da3c2186.0409211927.3d05c18f_at_posting.google.com...

> not that the DB is often (ever?) a signficant part of the cost of the
> application (4GL [&oracleBashers] stuff excepted).

What's not obvious is the trade off between high license fees, and a sub standard DBMS.

Of course, this trade off gets skewed if the application architect designs the database badly, or accepts a bad database design.

You can use a formula one racer to pull tree stumps, but I recommend a backhoe. Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 17:34:00 CEST

Original text of this message