A possible issue with theory

From: JohnD <john_nospam_at_tech-testing.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:02:12 GMT

Hi,

I'm new to the list and have a question regarding an implementation of a database schema design. I'm looking for any information I can find that confirms what I think, or tells me I'm completely wrong - and hopefully where to look for additional answers.

It's a very simple scenario:

An account has a list of products which may have any number of attributes.

My design would be to have a product table that contains a foreign key to an account table. Another table, say ProductAttributes_xref, relates a many-to-many relationship between a product and its attributes. The product's attributes would be stored a separate table - ProductAttributes.

Therefore, give a product key and a desired attribute, you could find its description by selecting from the ProductAttribute table joining Product and ProductAttribute through the cross reference table.

However, the current design is quite different and to retrieve the attribute description I have to do this:

Given a product key, I select a value from a table. The value comes back as a negative number, which I must convert to positive (obviously multiplying by -1). I then convert this positive number to a string where I concatenate it onto the end of a literal to produce the name of another table that I have to query. I query this table to select a key that allows me to query another table to get the description.

My first reaction was shock in horror at the design, however I admit that I don't know everything. Is it possible that the design, given the reality I face, is based on some advance theory, or an implementation of the relational model that I'm not familiar with?

Thanks for any and all responses and/or suggestions.

John Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 16:02:12 CEST

Original text of this message