Re: dbf is antiquated right?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 21 Sep 2004 02:34:22 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when "s" <s_at_s.com> would write:
> Is it safe to tell a client that the dbf format is a dinosaur
> compared to SQL?

Well, there's a counterargument in that both are pretty crusty, dating back more or less to the '70s.

> Client's using ACT (contact management app) and the dbf and/or indexes have
> become corrupt and are getting to be a time sink to keep working.
>
> What tools could I use to tinker with it? Old version of FoxPro?

Did you consider contacting the vendor?

  <http://www.act.com/support/databaseservices/databaserepair/>

I find this web page entirely stunning; a vendor that actually advertises that their database system suffers from problems of corruption, and which tells you you need to pay them to get your money out...

The fact that this happens frequently enough for them to have made part of their business out of this should be more than enough justification for you to use as an argument in favor of migrating.

--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('_at_'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','linuxfinances.info').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/x.html