Re: Data Management and Database Management

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:33:55 +0100

pstnotpd wrote:
> I think the distinction here is that the validity of data is in the eye
> of the beholder. We have a CMS system containing completely valid data
> from the DBA point of view. But it turns out a lot of this data is
> redundant, as the end-users responsible for entering this data don't
> care to look for previous entries, or refuse to remove entries which are
> outdated. Is a DBA to decide to remove this type of redundancy?

The two roles do overlap though, because certain kinds of bad data are an indication that business rules haven't been translated into database constraints correctly. e.g duplicate entries mean you should have had a UNIQUE constraint maybe, which is more of a DBA thing. Or is it? Maybe you have several levels of data users, some who can run DDL, some who can only run DML. Or can end-users only run DML, and DDL is the DBA's responsibility?

I think some DBA's are only concerned with the physical implementation of the database (backups, indexes, etc.) and don't touch the logical side, Whereas some do all the DML stuff as well.

Paul. Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 22:33:55 CEST

Original text of this message