Re: Data Management and Database Management

From: pstnotpd <schoenmakers_at_tpd.tno.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:30:55 +0200

strider5 wrote:

> Jerry, Laconic
>
> I think that there has been done significant amount of research in the
> field of automated management of data. We already have such automated
> systems that assure integrity of data, handle "bad transactions" and
> are responsible for validty of data, so called DBMS-es.
> Or am I the one who is totally confused here?
>
> Strider

I think the distinction here is that the validity of data is in the eye of the beholder. We have a CMS system containing completely valid data from the DBA point of view. But it turns out a lot of this data is redundant, as the end-users responsible for entering this data don't care to look for previous entries, or refuse to remove entries which are outdated. Is a DBA to decide to remove this type of redundancy?

I personally am quite happy with distinct database- and data management as I wouldn't like to be kicked in the behind all the time for typos or negligence of other people. As long as it doesn't interfere with the stability and integrity of the DBMS system of course.

Patrick Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 10:30:55 CEST

Original text of this message