Re: Some Laws

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:39:58 -0400

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:cYGdnRsX66qXXtjcRVn-hw_at_comcast.com...
> Spight's Law: You have to have a Database
>
> Laconic's Law: If you don't think you are ignorant, you are.
>
> Weinberg's first law of consulting: In spite of what your client may tell
> you, there's always a problem.
>
> Weinberg's second law of consulting: No matter how it looks at first,
it's
> always a people problem.
>
> Unnamed Law: Even if you encapsulate the data, you are still going to
have
> to manage it.
>
> I would have named this law after the person in this forum who wrote it in
> recent post. But I feel that the person whose name it is has the right to
> name the law, not me.

Heard a great joke on Car Talk last week. Basically....

A guy in a BMW is driving along a country road. He pulls over to talk to a farmer standing in his field tending his herd.

Guy: If I can tell tyou exactly how many cows and calves you have, will you give me a calf?
Farmer: (Thinks a minute). Yeah, sure- why not.

The guy takes out his laptop, connects it to a GPS. Opens his browser and using a wireless connection, surfs to a NASA web site. He feeds the GPS cordinates into the web site, which instructs a NASA satellite to take a picture. He has the satellite send the picture to an imaging processing service in Germany. The service then emails him a 20 page report, which he prints out on his potable HP laserjet printer. He turns to the last page and tells the farmer that he has exactly 1,874 cows and calves. "That's right!" says the farmer, "help your self to a calf." The guy goes into the field, and finally pushes, pulls, and cajoles one of the animals into his trunk.

The farmer says, "If I can tell you what your line of business is, will you give me the animal back?" "Sure," says the guy.

Farmer: Your a consultant.

Guy: That's amazing! How did you figure that out?

Farmer: No figuring needed- you show up without calling first, charge me for an answer to a question that I already know the answer to and didn't ask, and you don't even know anything about my business. Now, can I have my dog back? Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 18:39:58 CEST

Original text of this message