Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:45:44 -0400

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:f161d.79843$3l3.54747_at_attbi_s03...

> 2) That won't quite work for the syntax I'm envisioning, because
> I'm have high hopes for : as the "is a member of " operator.

After reading Alfredo's response, I'm reminded that PASCAL uses:

foo, bar, blech: integer;

To declare and type some variables.

No conflict here, because PASCAL's parser treats

":" and ":=" as distinct tokens. If you put a white space between the colon and the equals, the parser will treat it as an error.

Some implementations of Pascal extended the definition to:

foo: integer = 3;

meaning that foo is initialized to 3, when created. For global variables this means program start time. Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 17:45:44 CEST

Original text of this message