Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:39:24 -0400

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:zJF0d.283872$8_6.191567_at_attbi_s04...

> It makes me sad that we often find a statically typed language, such
> as Java, embedding a statically typeable language such as SQL, using
> an interface that throws away all static information, such as JDBC.

It's a natural outgrowth of the division of the experts into camps.

In order to write a good precompiler for embedded SQL, your have to have a decent respect for the host language, and its "paradigm" (if can use that word). You also have to have a decent respect for SQL, for the RDM, and for the DBMS.

People who join one of the camps typically lose all respect for the concepts of competing camps, even when those concepts deserve consideration. Received on Sat Sep 11 2004 - 19:39:24 CEST

Original text of this message