Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:46:04 GMT

"Lemming" <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:crh4k0tr4ctlu2j01blv656gj2q4t5m8ii_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:08:00 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >It sound like you're recapitulating Spight's Law.
> > [...]
> Confessing my ignorance: What is Spight's Law? Google hasn't a clue.

I post like crazy, and I almost never make web pages, alas. I should probably be a blogger. But it's the *dialog* I like, consarn it! If you're looking for anything of mine, Google Groups is usually the place to go.

Spight's Law, aka You Have To Have A Database:

"Any sufficently complicated application that doesn't use a formal database contains an ad-hoc, non-declarative, corruption-prone implementation of half of a database."

Everyone thinks they don't need a database unless they are writing some monstrous enterprise beast. But they're wrong. If you write to a file, you'd probably be better of with a database. (If you just read stdin and write stdout, you might not need a database. Hence the "sufficiently complicated.")

Marshall Received on Sat Sep 11 2004 - 08:46:04 CEST

Original text of this message