Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:26:08 -0400

OFF TOPIC RESONSE: "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:bIj0d.168135$mD.142465_at_attbi_s02...

> I've never heard any authority on Java claim that Java was the
> first garbage collected language. Do you have a citation?

You are right. I went back to my favorite reference, "Java in a Nutshell", and the guy says, in the second sentence on garbage, "It is a technique that has been around for years in languages like Lisp." That's sufficient to get me to start back pedalling. I still think it took them a long time to catch on.

> I'm sure he also thinks Linus Torvalds
> invented the idea of a Unix kernel, and Madonna was the
> first ever sex symbol.

Well, I did have to convince my wife that the Beatles' song "Twist and Shout" was a remake. She still doesn't want to admit that one.

It's only a matter of time before we get people who think "The Manchurian Candidate" was originally about the Carlyle group. Received on Fri Sep 10 2004 - 20:26:08 CEST

Original text of this message